Parking Permits

Treasury issues permits to allow parking on public roads and city-owned parking lots. The two general categories of these permits offered are Residential Permits and Nonresidential Permits. Within those two categories there are a few different varieties based either on location and purpose. For more information on these permits please visit the appropriate page with the links below. 

Residential Permits

Residential parking permits are for those who live at a property within the city and who need access to a street or parking lot for regular use. Also, under this category fall visitor passes for those visiting a residence within one of the On-Street residential zones (not available for Downtown or Washington Street parking lots).

Non-Residential Permits

Non-residential permits include Service Vehicle Passes issued to nonresident owners of residential properties to use while activities related to property maintenance are being performed, Downtown Employee Permits to allow use of select Downtown parking lots for employees who work in the area, and Contractor Permits for contractors performing work on a property in one of these areas.

Submitting an Application

You may submit your application and fees to the Treasury by any of the  methods listed below. For applications submitted by drobox or mail, please include an address to mail the permit to as well as a phone number or email address to contact in case of issue. Additionally, please include copies of required documents, such as your driver's license, in any mail or drop box submitted application.

  1. In person at City Hall: You can pay Treasury at our first floor office located at 1 S. Huron St., Ypsilanti, MI. We are able to accept applications and payments from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  We accept cash, check or money order (payable to the City of Ypsilanti), credit card (Mastercard, Discover, American Express, VISA).  There is a 3% processing fee (with a $2.00 minimum charge) for credit card payments.
  2. Online: You can apply for a Residential Parking Permit online at
  3. By mail: For security purposes please only send check payments through the mail, made payable to the City of Ypsilanti, addressed to the City of Ypsilanti Treasury at 1 S Huron St. Ypsilanti, MI 48197.
  4. By drop box: A drop box is located at City Hall's public entrance on S Huron Street. Applications can be turned in here at any time on every day of the year.

Expiration and Renewal

The year for parking permits begins in September and ends the following August. Treasury begins issuing permits for the next year during the preceding August. Below are the general rules for various permit durations based on this yearly schedule:

  • Annual permits will last from September 1st and end August 31st regardless of when they are purchased.
  • Permits issued in four-month spans cover the following periods: September 1st through December 31st, January 1st through April 30th, and May 1st through August 31st.
  • Any permits issued for a specific limited window, such as one-week Contractor Permits, are not affected by this yearly cycle.

Anyone who wishes to continue use of a permitted zone after one of these expiration windows must renew their pass. If you are not planning on using a permitted zone after your pass expires no action is needed.


Motorcycles are issued permits through the same process as other vehicles and Treasury requests, when possible, that the permit be visibly displayed somewhere on the vehicle. However, due to the impracticalities of displaying permits on some motorcycles, the Parking Enforcement Bureau will verify with the Treasury database whether a motorcycles with no visible permit in a permit zone has an issued permit before ticketing the vehicle.

In order to use a visitor pass with a motorcycle that is unable to display the physical pass, the owner of the pass must contact the Parking Enforcement Bureau at least two days prior to the visitor arriving. This is so a note can be made of the license plate number and the length of the visit, so all Parking Enforcement Officers can be informed that vehicle is legally parked and does not need to be ticketed.

​Special Event Parking

Inquiries or requests regarding parking during events, such as estate sales, athletic events, or block parties, must be made in writing at least one week in advance either by email to or by dropping it off at City Hall.  These requests are evaluated on a case by case basis and an events permit or other permit may also be required.

Parking Project Manager

The Parking Project Manager is responsible for overseeing the implementation of the Parking Permit Program and resolving matters not directly addressed by the current policies. For more information, please contact the Parking Project Manager by phone at (734)-482-9707 or email to

Changes to the Program

Every year the Parking Permit program is subject to change at the discretion of the City Manager. These decisions are made based upon the advisement of the Parking Project Manager and the Traffic Review Committee. This program is established in Chapter 102, Sections 102-101 to 102-107 of the City Code of Ordinances. For information on how to request changes to permit zones please click the link above.