Addressing Problems

You’re moved in, you’re settled…and suddenly an issue rears its head. Now what?

Almost all problems will be resolved by your landlord. That’s usually the person with the most comprehensive knowledge of your building, the best resources to address any problems—and the greatest incentive to make sure your living environment is safe and welcoming. So that should be the first stop for all concerns and requests.

What if that doesn’t work?

If you have informed the landlord of the problem in writing and allowed 10 days for corrections to be made, then you may file a Property Maintenance Complaint (PDF) through the City’s Building Department. (The only exceptions to this 10-day grace period involve issues of safety, such as a sewage problem or lack of heat in winter.) If the situation is so dire as to require legal action, State Bar of Michigan Legal Aid provides services to low-income residents.