To register to vote, you must be all of the following:
- A U.S. citizen
- At least 18 years old by Election Day
- A resident of Michigan
- A resident of the city or township where you are applying to register to vote
Voters are required to present photo identification or sign the Affidavit of Voter Not in Possession of Picture Identification form when registering to vote.
Acceptable Picture ID
- Michigan driver's license or personal ID card (may be expired)
- Other state's driver's license or personal ID card
- Federal or state government-issued ID - including U.S. passport and military ID
- Student ID from a high school or accredited institution of higher education
- Tribal ID
- Driver's license or personal ID
- Current utility bill
- Bank statement
- Government check
- Other government document
If you want to check to see if you are registered, visit www.Michigan.gov/vote. There you will find information about registering to vote and voting, voting equipment, polling place locations, state and local ballots, the candidates, campaign finance and more.
If you are living outside the U.S., you may send a Federal Postcard Application to register to vote. This application is distributed through U.S. embassies and military bases. It also serves as a way to request an absentee ballot.